The NCSP is aware of the challenges faced by many applicants during the time of the COVID-19 pandemic. We are committed to assisting candidates with the application process, including flexibility that may be needed throughout the coming months. Please reach out to us with any questions.
To be eligible for the National Clinician Scholars program, applicants must be:
- MDs or RNs with a doctoral degree (PhD or DNP)
- Committed to a career in serving as change agents to improve health and health care
- Highly regarded by those responsible for their clinical training
- In completion of the clinical requirements allowing for independent clinical work by the date of entry into the program (except for surgeons)
- Within 5 years of having completed clinical training at the time of application, if a physician, and within 5 years of having completed the doctoral degree, if a nurse (in other words, to be eligible to apply for the 2021-2023 NCSP cohort, applicants must have completed their clinical training or doctoral degree in the year 2015 or later)
- Eligible for or already have a medical license, if a physician
- Citizens or permanent residents of the United States or its territories at the time of application
- Demonstrated interest in improving health or the healthcare system
- Exhibited leadership capabilities
- Demonstrated ability to develop new ideas and to implement them
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with others
- Record of consistent accomplishment of project activities
- Previous research experience, published or unpublished
- Interest in, and/or experience with, community organizations
For all applicants, relevant research experience is a particular strength in the application evaluation process. 100% effort devoted to program activities is a program requirement.
This program embraces diversity and inclusion across multiple dimensions, such as race, ethnicity, gender, age, and socioeconomic status. We also encourage applicants from diverse clinical backgrounds. The program strongly encourages applications from candidates who will help us expand the perspectives and experiences we bring to our work, thereby improving our ability to help all Americans live healthier lives and get the care they need.
Want to translate research into action? Have questions about NCSP or the application process? Participate in one of our upcoming Q&A video conference sessions with current Program Directors and Scholars!
Please see below for more details. Please note that all participants must register in advance via the Zoom links provided below, by 5 pm EST//2 pm PST the day before each session.
Friday, June 19, 2020 (All Applicants: Physicians & Nurses)
12:00 pm – 1:00 pm EST//9:00 am – 10:00 am PST
You must register in advance for this meeting by 5 pm EST//2 pm PST on Thursday, June 18, 2020.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
You may view our most recent 2020 info sessions on the national NCSP YouTube channel below!