To be eligible for the National Clinician Scholars program, applicants must be:
- MDs, DOs, or RNs with a doctoral degree (PhD or DNP)
- Committed to a career in serving as change agents to improve health and health care
- Highly regarded by those responsible for their clinical training
- In completion of the clinical requirements allowing for independent clinical work by the date of entry into the program (except for surgeons)
- Within 5 years of having completed clinical training at the time of application, if a physician, and within 5 years of having completed the doctoral degree, if a nurse (in other words, to be eligible to apply for the 2022-2024 NCSP cohort, applicants must have completed their clinical training or doctoral degree in the year 2016 or later)
- Eligible for or already have a medical or medicine license, if a physician
- Citizens or permanent residents of the United States or its territories at the time of application
- Demonstrated interest in improving health or the healthcare system
- Exhibited leadership capabilities
- Demonstrated ability to develop new ideas and to implement them
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with others
- Record of consistent accomplishment of project activities
- Previous research experience, published or unpublished
- Interest in, and/or experience with, community organizations
For all applicants, relevant research experience is a particular strength in the application evaluation process. 100% effort devoted to program activities is a program requirement.
This program embraces diversity and inclusion across multiple dimensions, such as race, ethnicity, gender, age, and socioeconomic status. We also encourage applicants from diverse clinical backgrounds. The program strongly encourages applications from candidates who will help us expand the perspectives and experiences we bring to our work, thereby improving our ability to help all Americans live healthier lives and get the care they need.
All NCSP info sessions for 2020 have now taken place. Please see below for recordings of the sessions. Thank you!
You may view our most recent 2020 info sessions on the national NCSP YouTube channel below!